Thursday, April 06, 2006

Men's e-zine

Yesterday, at my son's school, I was surprised to learn that there are professionals in the field of yo-yo'ing. Tim the Yo-Yo Man put on a very funny and polished act for the kids that taught them about N(ever give up), E(ncourage others), D(o your best). NED is what true champions do; I guess Bode Miller never learned this lesson. If he did, he may have actually delivered at the Olympics. Anyway, the reason I was at the school is that I am a stay-at-home-dad for three days a week. I have searched in vain for a magazine that relates to this life. All the parenting mags are glorified Chatelaines and all the men's mags just make you envious. You are not raking in the dough to buy all those gadgets or go on the cool trips and definitely do not have the time to be that in shape. Surprisingly this magazine phenomenon translates into real life. I am one of the few dads to pick-up, drop-off and go to assembly. As a result I am around women all the time, including my wife, and even at the last two meetings I was outnumbered 10 to 2 (the other guy was the chair). So, I have decided to face the issues here on my blog. I am not sexist at all in this, just surprised that people can actually talk about so many things for such a long time. I feel that my five minute contribution stands for nothing in the one-hour world.

No comments:

Reverb

Reverb plug-in